Due to differences in departmental size and advising needs, advising procedures vary among departments. You should
acquaint yourself with your new advising area's current procedures. The departmental secretary is usually an excellent
source for this information. Some sample questions you might ask are:
- How are advisors assigned within this department?
- Who is my advisor?
- Where is my advisor's office located?
- What is the best way to contact my advisor?
- What are my advisor's office hours?
- What procedures do I follow for priority registration?
- May I schedule an appointment for advising prior to priority registration week?
- What are the department's office hours?