More than 50 programs of study leading to associate, bachelor, master, and specialist degrees, as well as a paralegal certificate and cooperative doctorate.
Honors Program, Co-op Education, internships, study-abroad and exchange programs, and ROTC.
Faculty and Staff
Over 200 full-time faculty, with about 70% holding doctoral degrees. All classes are taught by professors, not teaching assistants. Full-time staff, approximately 300.
19:1. Most upper-level classes are small, which allow students to work closely with faculty on research and other scholarly pursuits.
Around 6,500 students, diverse in ages, backgrounds, and ethnicity. Average age, undergraduate, 25; graduate, 35. Minority enrollment, 34%. Nearly every state and almost 60 countries are represented. Most of our students work in full or part-time jobs.
Augusta State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097: Telephone number 404-679-4500, extension 4504) to award associate's, bachelor's, master's and specialist's degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or phone at 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of ASU.
The purpose of publishing the commission's contact information is to enable interested parties 1) to learn about the accreditation status, 2) to file a third-party comment at the time of the institution's review, or 3) to file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. Normal inquiries about Augusta State, such as admission requirements, financial aid, etc., should be addressed directly to the institution and not to the commission.
Other accreditations include:
- All teacher education degree programs for elementary, special, secondary, and P-12 teacher, administrator, counselors, and supervisors, are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission and accredited by the National Council of Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE). The Augusta State University Counselor Education Program gained accreditation by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) in July 2006. This accrediting body awards accreditation to counseling programs that meet their specific educational and professional standards. The Counselor Education Program has been developed and organized using professional guidelines and standards consistent with CACREP since its inception in 1991. Both the community counseling program and the school counseling program meet their respective standards and are CACREP-approved until re-accreditation is required in 2014.
- The Clinical/Counseling track of the master of science in psychology degree program is accredited by the Masters in Psychology Accreditation Council (MPAC). It should be noted that the American Psychological Association (APA) does not accredit masters' programs.
- The Hull College of Business has achieved accreditation from AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business for all of its programs.
- In October 2009, the BSN program received approval for candidacy status from the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission. The music programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
- The art program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- The Maser of Public Administration degree program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration.
- The Bachelor of Social Work program is accredited by the Council of Social Work Education.
NCAA Division II in 8 men's and women's team sports: basketball, baseball, softball, cross country, tennis, and volleyball; and Division I in men's and women's golf. Member of Peach Belt Athletic Conference.
The men's golf team won their second consecutive national Division I championship in 2011. ASU becomes the first team to win back-to-back titles since Houston in 1984-85
As a state-supported public university, tuition is generally lower than private institutions. Financial aid is offered through scholarships, grants, loans, and work opportunities. ASU awards $26 million dollars in aid each year. Residents of Edgefield and Aiken counties pay Georgia in-state tuition rate.
Playing and intramural fields; aerobics; indoor walking track; weight rooms; 18-hole golf course; club sports; co-ed rowing team; game and billiard facilities; and fitness center.
80-acre main campus on Walton Way; 244-acre Forest Hills campus on Wrightsboro Road includes the Christenberry Field House and Forest Hills Golf Course. University Village- ASU's residential housing is located between the campuses.
Provides a variety of educational programs including advanced computer training. Courses are open to all adults, regardless of educational background.
Degrees and Major Programs of Study
- Associate of Arts
- Associate of Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
Bachelor of Arts
- Pre-Medical Illustration
- Communication Studies
- Public Relations
- Professional Writing
- Television and Cinema
- Criminal Justice
- Creative Writing
- English, Secondary Teacher Certification
- Rhetoric and Composition
- History, Secondary Teacher Certification
- Political Science
- International Studies
- Legal Studies
- Public Administration
- Political Science Secondary Teacher Certification
Bachelor of Fine Arts
- General Drawing
- Spanish Education
- French Education
Bachelor of Music
Bachelor of Science
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physicians Assistant
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Dental Hygiene
- Pre-Health Informatics
- Pre-Clinical Lab Science
- Pre-Radiation Therapy
- Pre-Diagmostic Medical Sonography
- Pre-Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Pre-Respiratory Therapy
- General Biology
- Biology, Secondary Teacher Certification
- Pre-Forensic Chemistry
- Pre-Medicinal Chemistry
- Chemistry, Secondary Teacher Certification
- Computer Science
- Math, Secondary Teacher Certification
- Physics/Mathematics, Secondary Teacher Certification
- Exercise & Sports Science
- Health Science
- Pre-Physical Therapy