Protyrum of the Church of Santa Pudenziana
Detail of upper
section, frieze, and pediment
Rebuilt in the 16th century from medieval materials
of Santa Pudenziana, Rome
The clipei (shields) in the frieze feature St. Pastor, St. Pudentiana,
the Lamb of God, St. Praxedes, and St. Pudens. Tradition has it that
the latter was father of the two virgin saints and host to St. Peter,
who celebrated the liturgy in the house on which the present church is
built. The inscription above the door is "S.S. PVDENTI ET PVDENTIANAE
DICATVM" -- "Dedicated to Saints Pudens and Pudentiana."
fresco in the pediment is by Antonio Manno, part of his restoration
of the façade in 1870.
Details of the clipei: St. Pastor,
Pudentiana, Lamb of God, St.
Praxedes, St. Pudens
Photographed at the
site by Richard Stracke