Scenes from the
torture and martyrdom of St. Barbara, as narrated in Caxton:
html or pdf
(left to right):
1. Barbara has the third window put into the tower.
2. In the white house: Barbara tells her father Dioscorus about the Trinity and then flees from his rage into the hills (see detail)
3. Starting in the street and continuing up the hill: Dioscorus follows after his daughter (see detail).
4. On the left side of the pale rose building: Barbara is arraigned, stripped, and tortured.
5. On the right side of that building: The second day, more torture.
6. On the plaza right of the building and the building that gives onto it: The judge orders her led naked through the streets (see detail).
7. On the mountaintop at right: Dioscorus beheads his daughter (left) and is then consumed by a fire from Heaven (right).
In the ten
roundels formed by vines from Jesus' hand are various
saints, the "branches" of which he is the
vine (John 15:5). The five on the left are hard to identify. On the
right (left to right) are St. John the Baptist,
Saints Peter and Paul, St. Stephen, St. Benedict, and a
bishop saint with a book and a spear.
More of St. Barbara
Source: Web Gallery of Art