The Bell Ringer was created in 1957 to be the source of news, information, and entertainment for the Junior College of Augusta. After more than 46 volumes and more than 1000 issues, The Bell Ringer continues this tradition.
Once a glossy, letter-sized edition, The Bell Ringer provided students with general campus information, jokes and opinion columns. Through the years, The Bell Ringer has increased in sections and has grown from letter size to tabloid to broadsheet.
Back in 1957 the only editors were the Editor-In-Chief and the Art and Society Editor. Section Editors were added in 1958, and the staff continued to increase as the junior college grew into a state university. The present staff continues the tradition to inform and entertain its readers.
Past publications of The Bell Ringer can be found in Reese Library.
"With this, the first edition of the newest student newspaper of the newest college campus in the state of Georgia, we proudly set forth a tradition which we hope will be upheld in the future by the student body for the benefit of the student body." -Jack D. Adams, Editor-In-Chief 1957