General Lab Safety Rules & Guidelines
The Augusta State University Department of Biology must maintain the safest laboratory conditions possible. The full cooperation of students, staff, and faculty is necessary for the safe operation of laboratory sessions. To that end the following rules and guidelines have been established.
- Upon entering the laboratory, place all books, coats, backpacks, and large personal items on the designated shelves. Do not clutter your work area.
- Locate fire extinguisher, eyewash, first aid kit, broken glass container, and clean up materials for spills.
- In case of fire, use the nearest exit to evacuate the building in a quick and calm manner.
- No food or drink in the laboratory.
- Wear enclosed shoes in the laboratory. Open-toed shoes/sandals/flip-flops are not acceptable.
- Wear eye protection when required by your instructor.
- Report all spills, accidents, and injuries to your instructor.
- Wash skin immediately with soap and water if contaminated with chemicals or microorganisms. Remove affected clothing to prevent reaction with your skin.
- Keep flammable liquids away from open flames and heat sources.
- Upon completion of laboratory exercises, place all materials in designated areas. Do not pour liquid wastes in the sink unless told to do so by your instructor.
- Wash your hands with soap and water prior to leaving laboratory.
- Do not remove materials from the laboratory.
- No more than 28 students are permitted in the laboratory at any one time.
- Children, spouses and friends are not allowed to accompany students in laboratories.