Dr. Richard Griner
Office: Science Hall W-2015C
CLASSES TAUGHT AT ASU
- BIOL 1101: Fundamentals of Biology
- BIOL 1107: Principles of Biology I
- BIOL 2111 & 2112: Anatomy & Physiology I & II
- BIOL 3400: Cell and Molecular Biology
- BIOL 4950: Advanced Cell Biology
- BIOL 4950: Immunology and Infections
- BIOL 4950: Principles of Pharmacology
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, 1994 Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- B.S. in both Biology and Microbiology, 1987 University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- 2000 - present: Department of Biology, Augusta State University, Augusta, Georgia
2008 - present: Associate Professor and Chair
2005 - 2008: Associate Professor
2000 - 2005: Assistant Professor
- 1996 - 2000: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Cell Biology Group, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
- 1994 - 1995: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Cell Biology Group, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida
MEMBERSHIPS TO BIOLOGY SOCIETIES
- American Society for Cell Biology
CURRENT UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECTS AND STUDENTS
- Analysis of the activity of persin derivatives in cultured cells.
fORMER RESEARCH STUDENTS AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING NOW
- Lisa Marie Maurer, 2011.
- Krystal Herline, 2010-2011. Cloning of Rab11-FIP1 into the pET expression vector. (Krystal is presently at NYU pursing her Ph.D.)
- Scarlett Timmons, Honors Thesis Project, 2009-2010. Title: "A Survey and Analysis of Antibiotic Resistant Species in the Ear of Canis familiaris" (Scarlett is presently at UGA pursuing her D.V.M.)
- Jessica Eades, 2007-2008. Improving sample collection and DNA isolation techniques for DNA fingerprinting. (Jessica relocated with her husband to Virginia to finish her B.S. degree.)
- Allison Spensley, Honors Thesis Project, 2003-2004. Title: "Identification of Protein Kinase D Interacting Proteins using Yeast 2-Hybrid Analysis" (Student withdrew from the Honors Program for personal reasons before project was completed) (Allison is presently working as a Physician Assistant in Augusta.)
- Michael Huff, 2003-2004. Participated in yeast 2-hybrid experiments to identify protein kinase D interacting proteins.
- Kevin Burnley and Jonathon Goolsby, 2002-2003. Participated in the amplification of a cDNA library for use in identifying protein kinase D interacting proteins. (Jonathon completed an M.S. in Biology at Georgia Southern and an M.B.A. at ASU. He presently works at Georgia Health Sciences University.)
- David Hardy and Laura Drake, 2000-2001. I served as faculty advisor for these students who participated in research with MCG faculty members. (David Hardy is presently a surgical resident at Georgia Health Sciences University.)
Dransfield D.T., Griner R.D., Ray S., Keskintepe M., Bollag W.B. 8-Cl-adenosine induces growth arrest without differentiation of primary mouse epidermal keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2001 Dec; 117(6):1588-93.
*Hales C.M., *Griner R., Hobdy-Henderson K.C., Dorn M.C., Hardy D., Kumar R., Navarre J., Chan E.K., Lapierre L.A., Goldenring J.R. Identification and characterization of a family of Rab11-interacting proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001 Oct; 19276(42):39067-75. * Indicates both authors share 'first authorship' of this publication.
Griner R.D., Bollag W.B. Inhibition of [(3)H]thymidine transport is a nonspecific effect of PDMP in primary cultures of mouse epidermal keratinocytes. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000 Sep; 294(3):1219-24.
Jung E.M., Betancourt-Calle S., Mann-Blakeney R., Griner R.D., Bollinger-Bollag W. Sustained phospholipase D activation is associated with keratinocyte differentiation. Carcinogenesis. 1999 Apr; 20(4):569-76.
Griner R.D., Qin F., Jung E., Sue-Ling C.K., Crawford K.B., Mann-Blakeney R., Bollag R.J., Bollag W.B. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 induces phospholipase D-1 expression in primary mouse epidermal keratinocytes. J Biol Chem. 1999 Feb; 19274(8):4663-70.
Jung E.M., Griner R.D., Mann-Blakeney R., Bollag W.B. A potential role for ceramide in the regulation of mouse epidermal keratinocyte proliferation and differentiation. J Invest Dermatol. 1998 Apr; 110(4):318-23.
Griner R.D., Schnellmann R.G. Decreasing glycolysis increases sensitivity to mitochondrial inhibition in primary cultures of renal proximal tubule cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 1994 Jan; 30A(1):30-4.
Griner R.D., Aleo M.D., Schnellmann R.G. The role of short chain fatty acid substrates in aerobic and glycolytic metabolism in primary cultures of rabbit renal proximal tubule cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 1993 Aug; 29A(8):649-55.
Bollag W.B. and Griner R.D. Measurement of Cellular Diacylglycerol Content. In Methods in Molecular Biology: Phospholipids and Cell Signaling Protocols. (Bird, I., Ed.), The Humana Press Inc., Totowa, New Jersey, 1998.
Schnellmann R.G. and Griner R.D. Mitochondrial mechanisms of tubular injury. In Mechanisms of injury in renal disease and toxicity. (Goldstein, RS and Davis, ME, Eds.), Telford Press, New York, 1994.
Timmons, K.S., Bates, C.S., and Griner, R.D. A Survey of the Antibiotic Resistance of Bacterial Species in the Ear of Canis familiaris. Georgia Journal of Science 68(1): 54-55, 2010.
Griner R.D., Goldenring J.R., Bollag W.B. Increased Rab11a expression in differentiating primary mouse keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 112: 576A, 1999
Griner R.D. and Bollag W.B. Inhibition of glucosylceramide synthase increases ceramide and inhibits growth in primary mouse keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 9: 240A, 1998.
Griner R.D., Sue-Ling C.K., Mann-Blakeney R., Branch K.D., Bollag R.J., Bollag W.B. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 stimulates phospholipase D activity and expression in mouse epidermal keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 108(4): 419, 1997.
Griner R.D., Jung E., Mann-Blakeney R., Bollag W.B. Ceramide: A potential signaling molecule in keratinocyte differentiation. Mol Biol Cell. 7(s): 176a, 1996.
Griner R.D., Aleo M.D., Schnellmann R.G. Improved cultures of renal proximal tubule cells (RPTC): Assessment of oxidant and HgCl2 toxicity. The Toxicologist. 13(1): 134, 1993.
Griner R.D., Aleo M.D., Schnellmann R.G. Insulin increases the induction of glycolysis in primary cultures of renal proximal tubule cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 3(3): 828, 1992.
Griner R.D., Aleo M.D., Schnellmann R.G. Shaking dishes of renal proximal tubule cells in primary culture increases sensitivity to antimycin A. The Toxicologist. 12(1): 92, 1992.
Griner R.D., Aleo M.D., Schnellmann R.G. Fatty acid reduction of lactate production in renal proximal tubules cell cultures. FASEB J. 5: A1409, 1991.
Using 3D Animations to Teach Intracellular Signal Transduction: A Pilot Study Presented at State of the Art in Biology, 2007, Athens, GA
Identification and characterization of a novel Rab11 family interacting protein (Rab11FIP) Presented at the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Summer Conference on small G-proteins, 2000; Snowmass, CO
1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 stimulates phospholipase D activity and expression in mouse epidermal keratinocytes. Presented at the 58th Annual Meeting of The Society for Investigative Dermatology, 1997; Washington, DC
Ceramide: A potential signaling molecule in keratinocyte differentiation. Presented at the 6th International Congress on Cell Biology & the 36th American Society for Cell Biology Annual Meeting, 1996; San Francisco, CA
Improved cultures of renal proximal tubule cells (RPTC): Assessment of oxidant and HgCl2 toxicity. Presented at the 32nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, 1993; New Orleans, LA and presented at the 1992 Symposium and Meeting of the Southeastern Regional Chapter of the Society of Toxicology and the Southeast Regional Section of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine; Athens, GA
Shaking dishes of renal proximal tubule cells in primary culture increases sensitivity to antimycin A. Presented at the 31st Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, 1992; Seattle, WA
Fatty acid reduction of lactate production in renal proximal tubules cell cultures. Presented at the 75th Annual Meeting of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 1991; Atlanta, GA