Some students will participate in the Supplemental Instruction Program's one-on-one tutorials led by English instructors. These tutorials operate under guidance from the Department of English and Foreign Languages.
Currently, the topics for these tutorials are as follows:
- Reading and understanding an assignment handout
- Critical reading: note taking, analysis, discovering main points, etc.
- Essay planning: brainstorming, outlining, developing a thesis statement, etc.
- Basic essay writing: sentences, paragraphs, etc.
- Essay structure and transitions
- Essay tone and academic style
- Sentence grammar: subject/verb agreement, sentence fragments, etc.
- Punctuation: use of commas, apostrophes, colons, etc.
- Vocabulary building
Additional tutorial topics will be offered as the need arises. Please use the referral form to request a topic not on this list.