(As determined at tournament directors
meeting, 23 October. 20010) New items are all in red
6 Dec, 2010 Awesome Aquifers:
All topics on the national list are fair game for the written portion of the event. However, at regional your students will be expected to build an aquifer that demonstrates 5 topics (from the list of 7). The 5 topics will be announced during the building phase of the competition, and all teams at a given site must demonstrate the same 5 topics. The list of potential topics expands for those teams qualifying for state.
The shortened list is an attempt to reduce the amount of material that students will bring with them to the event.
Aquifer building concepts for regional's. (5 concepts)
Event supervisors will inform students the day of the competition, which of the 5 concepts listed below are to be demonstrated by the built aquifer. All teams will have to demonstrate the identical concepts.
1. Groundwater recharge from precipitation
2. Water table
3. Unsaturated zone
4. Saturated zone
5. Pore space
6. Impact a well has on surface water
7. Groundwater as part of hydrologic cycle
Aquifer building concepts for the state competition (7 concepts)
Event supervisor will inform the students which 7of the following 12 concepts are to be demonstrated by the built aquifer. All teams will have the same 7 concepts to demonstrate. Concepts used by regional sites may be reused at the state meet.
1. Any of the 7 topics from regional plus:
2. Potential groundwater contamination by human activities
3. Naturally occurring groundwater contamination source(s)
4. Movement of a contaminant in groundwater
5. Nonpoint source contamination.
1. Storm the Castle(B) : graphs must be submitted prior to the
day of competition. Specific details to be provided by individual
sites. Penalties will exist for late submission.
2. Mission Possible (C): order of actions must be submitted prior to
the day of competition. Specific details to be provided by individual
sites. Penalties will exist for late submission.
3 . Ornithology, both divisions: (aka advanced feathered herps) The birds will be restricted to GA birds from the national list.
4. Helicopters (C) : flight logs will not be required
5. Crime Busters(B): no water testing will be done at any level
. Compute This (B) : all sites use Office 2007 on their computers. Rule 3a becomes irrelvant
7. On tournament day, each school with >1 team MUST have a separate adult
register the team and serve as coach of the day.
8. BATTERY BUGG:Y :Width of course for Battery Buggy at all regionals will be 1.5 m. Length is specified in rules as 8m. At state,. width will be 1m. Distance , between 6-10 m, will be announced the day of competiton AFTER IMPOUND.
9 . Wrist bands must be worn by all competitors and the head coach.
11. The mandatory fee that coaches must pay for the Send Bill To Aruba
fund will be increased by a factor of the cube root of 45. A small % ( 0.0237%) of
the SBTA fund will be shared among the various tournament directors.
Note : teams advancing to nationals will be expected to follow national rules unless indicated by 2011 SONT communication.
- Each site will have an appeal board of at least 3 individuals;
the number on the board must be an odd number
- Appeals must be made within
one hour of the team's completion of the event in question.
must be made in writing.
- Scoring appeals must
be made within one
hour after the passing out of score sheets at
award ceremony. This rule applies to all teams, whether they
stay for award ceremony or not.
- ONLY THE DESIGNATED COACHED,
AS INDICATED ON THE REGISTRATION, MAY FILE THE APPEAL
- TOURNAMENT DAY REGISTRATION
- A separate adult
must turn in the team roster for each team.
- The roster form
must be printed and totaled from
the on-line form.
- Students MUST wear wrist bands. Students
without wrist bands will not be allowed to compete in an event,
except a trial event.
- Mutliple teams from a given school MUST each have separate devices. Devices may not be shared among/between teams.(actually an ovreall rule; it is listed here just to emphasize things.)
- BIRDS (AKA, FEATHERED REPTILES)
- Modified critter list. The
critters will be limited to those on the list that appear in GA. Click
here for a specific list. Families from the national list
that will NOT be tested:
labels will be allowed (and in fact, encouraged ).
Answer sheets used will be double spaced, 12 font lines. The
length of the label must not exceed 3 ½ inches, and must
fit within the above indicated space. Students may bring in multiple
labels, however, THE LABELS THEMSELVES MUST CONTAIN NO WRITING
OTHER THAN NAME.
- Taxonomy field guides: The book used does not have to contain the words "Field Guide." Any book that deals with taxonomy is acceptable.
- LOG BOOKS, TEST KITS, SBTA, and other things
Log books will NOT be required
- Flight events (Wright Stuff and Balloon Launch Glider)
- Balsa wood events (Tower and Boomilever)
- B. Log books will
be required for other events if specified in rules.
- WRITE IT DO IT
A. Building bags may contain more, but
never less, than the necessary pieces