Station A Questions 1-14
Questions 1-4 pertain to the following figure.
How many hours did it take the culture at 10 o C to reach a concentration of 6,000/ mL?
What was the increase in the number of bacteria per mL grown at 15 °C after
two days ?
What was the average growth rate per hour of the bacteria grown at 10 °C
over the interval shown on the graph?
How many bacteria per mL would you predict to be present if you grew the same culture at 7.5 °C for 72 hour?
What is the basic unit of laryngitis?
A: 1 hoarsepower
Questions 5-8. The figure below represents a growth curve of a microbial culture. Provide the name of the stage that bests fits the following description. Some stages may be used more than once; others not at all.
5. During this stage, enzymes and molecules necessary for growth are produced.
6. This stage seems to last about 5 hr.
7. During this stage the rate of cell growth is about equal to the rate of cell death.
8. This stage is characterized by rapid cell growth.
9. During which phase of the growth curve of a bacterial culture might abnormal shapes and false gram staining occur?
10-12. The following figure represents a growth curve for an organism.
10. At what time did the culture achieve a concentration of about 50,000 cells/cc?
11. What is the approximate doubling time for the culture?
12. If you took a 0.1 mL sample after the culture had been growing for 10 hours, how many bacteria would you expect to find in this 0.1 mL sample?
13. This question uses the figure below. The figure represents a growth curve of nanobacteria cultured in three different types of vessels during 27 days of culturing: HARV, shaker flasks, non-shaking flasks.
Based on the above information, what treatment had an approximate absorbance of 0.05 about 14 days after the start of the experiment? PRINT ANSWER IN CAPITAL LETTERS. ALL OTHER FORMS WILL BE COUNTED WRONG.
What is10 -6 phones?
A: One microphone
14. The figure below represents the growth of two related ciliated protozoans. In the upper figure, cells of different species were grown in separate tubes. In the lower graph, both organisms were placed in the same tube. In both cases, the concentration of organisms was determined.
Which of the following explanations best summarizes the two graphs?
A. Both organisms have about the same growth rate, regardless of conditions.
B. P.aurelia inhibits the growth of P.caudatum.
C. P.caudatum inhibits the growth of P.aurelia.
D. P.aurelia stimulates the growth of P.caudatum
What is the difference between swine flu and avian flu?
A: Swine flu is treated with an oinkment and bird flu requires a tweetment