National Science Foundation
Science, Technology, and Society (STS)
February 11, 2011
STS considers proposals that examine historical, philosophical, and sociological questions that arise in connection with
science, engineering, and technology, and their respective interactions with society. STS has four components:
1. Ethics and Values in Science, Engineering and Technology (EVS),
2. History and Philosophy of Science, Engineering and Technology (HPS),
3. Social Studies of Science, Engineering and Technology (SSS),
4. Studies of Policy, Science, Engineering and Technology (SPS).
The components overlap, but are distinguished by the different scientific and scholarly orientations they take to the subject
matter, as well as by different focuses within the subject area. STS encourages the submission of hybrid proposals
that strive to integrate research involving two or more of these core areas.
STS provides the following modes of support:
1. Scholars Awards,
2. Standard Research Grants and Grants for Collaborative Research,
3. Postdoctoral Fellowships,
4. Professional Development Fellowships,
5. Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grants,
6. Small Grants for Training and Research,
7. Conference and Workshop Awards,
8. Other Funding Opportunities.
For more information: