USDA – Rural Development - Water and Environmental Programs
Solid Waste Management Grant Program
Due: December 31, 2010
The objectives of the Solid Waste Management Grant Program are to:
• Reduce or eliminate pollution of water resources in rural areas; and
• Improve planning and management of solid waste sites in rural areas.
NOTE: Rural areas are defined as any area not in a city or town with a population in excess of 10,000, according to the
latest decennial census of the United States.
Solid Waste Management grants may be used to:
1. Evaluate current landfill conditions to determine threats to water resources.
2. Provide technical assistance and/or training to enhance operator skills in the operation and maintenance of
3. Provide technical assistance and/or training to help communities reduce the solid waste stream.
Provide technical assistance and/or training for operators of landfills which are closed or will be closed in
the near future with the development and implementation of closure plans, future land use plans, safety and
maintenance planning, and closure scheduling within permit requirements.
For More Information: