Agricultural Department (Nat'l Institute of Food & Agriculture)
Agriculture & Food Research Initiative Competitive Grants Program
FUNDING: $264 Million for multiple awards in seven different categories
DEADLINE: August 3
PURPOSE: AFRI will solicit its core program through seven separate RFAs. Applicants are encouraged to review
each RFA to explore all the opportunities available to them. A series of webinars will be posted focused on each RFA
to provide an introduction and overview of the Program Areas.
AFRI, NIFA's flagship research competitive grant program, supports work in six priority areas: (1) plant health and
production and plant products; (2) animal health and production and animal products; (3) food safety, nutrition,
and health; (4) renewable energy, natural resources, and environment; (5) agriculture systems and technology; and
(6) agriculture economics and rural communities.
In FY 2010, AFRI is soliciting applications through seven grant solicitations. The biggest solicitation—Foundational
Program (Funding Opportunity Number: USDA-NIFA-AFRI-003040) ($64 million for 125 awards of up to
$750,000 each)--calls for research projects addressing the above six priority areas. Additional solicitations further
address AFRI priority areas in the following five societal challenge areas:
1. Childhood Obesity Prevention (Funding Opportunity Number: (USDA-NIFA-AFRI-003037) ($28 million
for multiple awards).
2. Climate Change (Funding Opportunity Number: USDA-NIFA-AFRI-003038) ($55 million for 35 awards).
3. Food Safety (Funding Opportunity Number: USDA-NIFA-AFRI-003039) ($20 million for 20 awards).
4. Global Food Security (Funding Opportunity Number: USDA-NIFA-AFRI-
003041) ($19 million for 15 awards).
5. Sustainable Bioenergy (Funding Opportunity Number: USDA-NIFA-AFRI-
003042) ($40 million for 50 awards).
| Social Science
| Curriculum |
Economic Development | Business Topics
| EPA |
| Immigration |