The Refuse Disposal Pit features were discovered in the summer of
2000 by a survey conducted by ASU archaeology students (see
below) near Walton Way, which borders the north edge of the campus.
At that location between approximately 1890 and the end of the First
World War (1918), the Arsenal residents deposited a great deal of refuse
in one or more pits.
The items found in the pit features include: china, bottles and other
glass items, food remains (bone, eggshell, oyster shells), household
items, toys, personal items, building materials, coal (used for
cooking, heating, and industrial processes) and cinders, as well as
items such as metal waste which probably came from the Arsenal's industrial
The picture below (left) shows our team
laying out excavation units. On the (right)
the excavation trench approaches the level of the pit's top surface.