A History Walk invites walkers to enjoy a beautifully landscaped brick pathway around campus that includes rest areas and brick markers with text about the history of the university, the Augusta Arsenal, and the neighborhoods of Sand Hills and Summerville. The History Walk, initially begun in 2002, primarily with support from the Georgia Department of Transportation, has been completed in stages. The final segment, now under construction, will connect with that which already surrounds three sides of campus to provide 1.1 mile loop.
Anchoring the walk at the corner of Walton Way and Katherine Street is a restored 1866 Arsenal Guardhouse. Now a History Museum, it houses artifacts, photographs, and other memorabilia of our historic past. Most of the artifacts were discovered in archaeological digs on campus. The cell room was restored, complete with costumed figures, to portray prisoner life in the late 1800s. The Guardhouse Museum is open daily to ASU's campus visitors.
At the Walton Way and Arsenal Street History Walk is a military cemetery that holds the remains of U. S. and Confederate soldiers and their dependents.