The filling of all vacancies must be approved by the appropriate Vice President, the Budget Office, and the President using the Request to Fill a Critical Vacancy Form found on the Human Resources web page, www.aug.edu/humanresources, under Human Resources Forms.
Augusta State recognizes that some positions should be filled through intra department promotions, some through posting for internal candidates only and some open to everyone. The decision as to which method is appropriate is made by the hiring manager with agreement from the next level of supervision and Human Resources.
To initiate the process for filling a classified or professional staff position, the hiring manager should forward an original Personnel Action Request (PAR) Form to Human Resources. The form and instructions may be found on the Human Resources web page, www.aug.edu/humanresources, under Human Resources Forms. The request must be prepared in conjunction with a current job description which outlines the minimum qualifications required, physical demands, and essential functions of the position. All new positions must have a current approved job description attached to the PAR employment request. The hiring manager should also include a short paragraph describing the major requirements or preferences that will be used on the job posting.
Augusta State University will accept completed applications or resumes for consideration. All applications and resumes must be for a specific posted position. Applications and resumes will not be accepted unless a specific posted job is referenced.
- Augusta State University requires that all applications and resumes for regular classified or professional staff positions be processed for employment consideration through Human Resources.
- Individuals who contact departments directly must be referred to Human Resources to be considered in the employment process.
- For positions which will be posted, the information provided is reviewed by Human Resources for consistency. The position is then posted on the Human Resources web page. The Employment Opportunities listing is mailed once per week, if changed, to the Georgia Department of Labor, Goodwill Job Connection, and Army Community Services - Fort Gordon. Positions are posted for ten working days. If sufficient applications are not received, the position can be reposted as necessary. Applications and resumes are not accepted after the ten working day period unless the job is reposted.
- The hiring manager receives a Thank you for posting your job e-mail from Human Resources that details the entire hiring process.
- Position vacancies may also be advertised in local or regional newspapers or national publications at the expense of the hiring department. All arrangements for ads must be made through the Human Resources Recruiter. Ads must be approved by Human Resources to insure uniformity and inclusion of appropriate Affirmative Action Statements.
- Current employees who wish to apply for a posted position must provide Human Resources with an application or resume.
Evaluation of Candidates
- The Human Resources Recruiter evaluates all applications received based on stated job-related experience, skills, education, and training according to job description criteria. The Human Resources Recruiter will refer qualified applications to the department where the vacancy exists. The Human Resources Recruiter and the interviewing supervisor will review the applications sent from Human Resources and select the most suitable (minimum of three) qualified candidates for campus interviews. Selected candidates will be contacted by Human Resources to arrange an interview, which will be coordinated with the schedule of the interviewing supervisor.
- he Human Resources Recruiter will meet first with each selected candidate to gather information, review their background experience and to share the job description to determine if the applicant can perform the duties and responsibilities of the position with or without accommodation and discuss benefits and pay range. If a candidate meets or exceeds minimal qualifications for the position, he/she will proceed with the scheduled departmental interview. When it is determined that the candidate is not minimally qualified or elects to withdraw from consideration, the department supervisor will be immediately notified.
- Departmental interviews must not be promised or scheduled until the applicant is processed through Human Resources, because applicants may not always meet minimum qualifications listed on their applications. Employment procedures must be consistent for all applicants.
- The departmental interviewer or department screening committees, if used, should formulate a list of appropriate questions to ask each candidate. Questions or interview procedures must be consistently applied to all candidates. (Copies of permissible pre-employment questions can be obtained from Human Resources to include guidelines from ADA related questions.)
Selection of Candidate
- After meeting the posting and interviewing requirements of this policy, the hiring manager should make a decision to hire or a decision to repost the position. If necessary, the Human Resources Recruiter will process references of the top candidates upon request of the interviewing department. Usually character references, co-workers, previous employers (but not current employers unless otherwise agreed) will be verified. The Human Resources Recruiter will notify the hiring supervisor of the findings.
- When a departmental screening committee is used, the committee should not make a recommendation until after all campus interviews are completed. The hiring supervisor will make the final decision.
- When a candidate has been selected, the Human Resources Recruiter will complete a background check on the selected candidate following the ASU background check procedure. Failure to have a background check acceptable under the ASU policy will disqualify the candidate.
- For positions requiring a P-Card or cash handling, a candidate must successfully pass a credit check.
- Upon notification of the background clearing, the Human Resources Recruiter, on behalf of ASU, will make the official employment offer to the desired candidate. The Human Resources Recruiter will advise the candidate of the salary, date, time, and place to report and documents required to satisfy Federal eligibility requirements to work in the United States. A letter will be mailed to confirm the offer.
- The hiring supervisor will be advised by the Human Resources Recruiter of the candidate's decision to accept or decline the position. When an offer is rejected, an offer may be extended to the next best qualified applicant.
- All unsuccessful candidates who have interviewed on campus will receive a letter explaining that the position has been filled by the person best qualified for the position based on job related requirements.