Revised June 28, 2010
A. Recruitment Preparation
The filling of all vacancies must be approved by the appropriate Vice President, the Budget Office, and the President using the Request to Fill a Critical Vacancy Form found on the Human Resources web page, www.aug.edu/humanresources, under Human Resources Forms.
Augusta State recognizes that some positions should be filled through intra department promotions, some through posting for internal candidates only and some open to everyone. The decision as to which method is appropriate is made by the hiring manager with agreement from the next level of supervision and Human Resources.
To initiate the process for filling a classified or professional
staff position, the hiring manager should forward an original Personnel
Action Request (PAR) Form to Human Resources. The form and instructions
may be found on the Human Resources web page, www.aug.edu/humanresources,
under Human Resources Forms. The request must be
prepared in conjunction with a current job description which outlines the
minimum qualifications required, physical demands, and essential functions
of the position. All new positions must have a current approved
job description attached to the PAR employment request. The hiring
manager should also include a short paragraph describing the major requirements
or preferences that will be used on the job posting.
B. Recruitment Process
Augusta State University will accept completed applications or resumes
for consideration. All applications and resumes must be for a specific
posted position. Applications and resumes will not be accepted unless
a specific posted job is referenced.
- Augusta State University requires that all applications and resumes
for regular classified or professional staff positions be processed for
employment consideration through Human Resources.
- Individuals who contact departments directly must be referred to Human
Resources to be considered in the employment process.
- For positions which will be posted, the information provided is reviewed by Human Resources for consistency. The position is then posted on the Human Resources web page. The “Employment Opportunities” listing
is mailed once per week, if changed, to the Georgia Department of Labor,
Goodwill Job Connection, and Army Community Services - Fort Gordon. Positions
are posted for ten working days. If sufficient applications are
not received, the position can be reposted as necessary. Applications
and resumes are not accepted after the ten working day period unless the
job is reposted.
- The hiring manager receives a “Thank you for posting your job” e-mail from Human Resources that details the entire hiring process.
- Position vacancies may also be advertised in local or regional newspapers
or national publications at the expense of the hiring department. All
arrangements for ads must be made through the Human Resources Recruiter. Ads
must be approved by Human Resources to insure uniformity and inclusion
of appropriate Affirmative Action Statements.
- Current employees who wish to apply for a posted position must provide
Human Resources with an application or resume.
C. Evaluation of Candidates
- The Human Resources Recruiter evaluates all applications received based
on stated job-related experience, skills, education, and training according
to job description criteria. The Human Resources Recruiter will refer
qualified applications to the department where the vacancy exists. The
Human Resources Recruiter and the interviewing supervisor will review
the applications sent from Human Resources and select the most suitable
(minimum of three) qualified candidates for campus interviews. Selected
candidates will be contacted by Human Resources to arrange an interview,
which will be coordinated with the schedule of the interviewing supervisor.
- The Human Resources Recruiter will meet first with each selected candidate
to gather information, review their background experience and to share
the job description to determine if the applicant can perform the duties
and responsibilities of the position with or without accommodation and
discuss benefits and pay range. If a candidate meets or exceeds
minimal qualifications for the position, he/she will proceed with the
scheduled departmental interview. When it is determined that the candidate
is not minimally qualified or elects to withdraw from consideration, the
department supervisor will be immediately notified.
- Departmental interviews must not be promised or scheduled until the
applicant is processed through Human Resources, because applicants may
not always meet minimum qualifications listed on their applications. Employment
procedures must be consistent for all applicants.
- The departmental interviewer or department screening committees, if
used, should formulate a list of appropriate questions to ask each candidate. Questions
or interview procedures must be consistently applied to all candidates. (Copies
of permissible pre-employment questions can be obtained from Human Resources
to include guidelines from ADA related questions.)
D. Selection of Candidate
- After meeting the posting and interviewing requirements of this policy,
the hiring manager should make a decision to hire or a decision to repost
the position. If necessary, the Human Resources Recruiter will process
references of the top candidates upon request of the interviewing department. Usually
character references, co-workers, previous employers (but not current
employers unless otherwise agreed) will be verified. The Human Resources
Recruiter will notify the hiring supervisor of the findings.
- When a departmental screening committee is used, the committee
should not make a recommendation until after all campus interviews are
completed. The hiring supervisor will make the final
- When a candidate has been selected, the Human Resources Recruiter will
complete a background check on the selected candidate following the ASU
background check procedure. Failure to have a background check acceptable
under the ASU policy will disqualify the candidate.
- For positions requiring a P-Card or cash handling, a candidate must successfully pass a credit check.
- Upon notification of the background clearing, the Human Resources Recruiter,
on behalf of ASU, will make the official employment offer to the desired
candidate. The Human Resources Recruiter will advise the candidate
of the salary, date, time, and place to report and documents required
to satisfy Federal eligibility requirements to work in the United States. A
letter will be mailed to confirm the offer.
- The hiring supervisor will be advised by the Human Resources Recruiter
of the candidate's decision to accept or decline the position. When
an offer is rejected, an offer may be extended to the next best qualified
- All unsuccessful candidates who have interviewed on campus will receive
a letter explaining that the position has been filled by the person best
qualified for the position based on job related requirements.