Word 2007 APA & MLA Templates
In response to a request from the Writing Center, ITS has provided templates for Word 2007 using the research paper style formats of MLA and APA. These templates are linked to on this page and the instructions on how to install them appear below.
Instructions for Lab Computers
This process is for computer lab machines only. If you want to install these templates on your personal home or office computer, please see the next section.
Before starting MS Word 2007, you must retrieve the templates and place them onto your computer. Follow the instructions below to retrieve the templates.
- Select the Start button
- Choose "Word Processing Programs"
- Choose "Copy APA and MLA Templates"
Now you can start Microsoft™ Word 2007 and use the templates for new APA or MLA documents.
- Select the Office button
- Choose "New"
- Choose "My Templates"
- Select the template you want to use, either "APA" or "MLA"
Instructions for Personal Home or Office Computers
If you want to use these templates for your personal home or office computer you will need to install these template files onto your computer in a specific folder. By following the instructions below, you will be able to click on "My Templates" in Word and choose the APA or MLA template to create a new document.
- Retrieve the files using the links provided below and save them to any location on your computer. Please be aware that these the files are in .zip format.
- On a Windows™ computer, extract (expand, unzip, etc.) the files to the following location:
- Choose "Drive C:"
- Choose "Documents and Settings"
- Choose the folder with your username
- Choose "Application Data"
(The folder may look pale or be hidden from view. If you can't see the "Application Data" folder, open your "My Documents" folder. Next, go to the menu bar and choose "Tools | Folder Options | View" and click the circle in front of "Show hidden files and folders." Click "OK." You may need to restart the extraction process from the beginning to see the "Application Data" folder.
- Choose the folder "Microsoft"
- Choose the folder "Templates." This is the folder you want to use to install the templates.
If you don't have a "Microsoft" or "Templates" folder under "Application Data"
You can create these folders. Be certain to spell and capitalize the folder names exactly as shown here (without the quotation marks).
- Open Word 2007. Select the Office button, "New," "My Templates" and you will see these template options available for you to use.
The Template Files
Click on the link below to download the template files you want to install. You may need to right–click and "Save as..." or "Save link as..." to download these files. All files are in .zip format.