Reese Library is an academic library, primarily intended to support the educational, teaching, research, and administrative needs of the faculty, students, and staff of Georgia Regents University (GRU). We extend the privilege of library use to outside researchers and adult members of the community. Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times with the following exception: high school students under the age of 16 may use Reese Library resources unaccompanied if they have a Reese Library pass signed in the original by their teacher.
Georgia Regents University faculty, staff and students must present a valid JagCard to borrow items. Other users with borrowing priviledges must present a valid picture ID. Items will be loaned only to the person to whom the ID card is issued.
The chart below details the standard loan periods and fines. Full time faculty may check out books from the Reese Library's general collection and Government Documents for the academic year with no renewals.
Fines are assessed to insure prompt return of items. Charges and fines are cumulative. They are not erased at the end of a semester or academic year. Check your library GIL account regularly. You are responsible for returning or renewing library items whether or not you receive an overdue notice.
University regulations require that all payments due for lost items and unpaid fines/fees be reported to the University Registrar at the close of each semester. Students who have not settled their library accounts before the end of the semester will not be permitted to graduate, to re-register for a subsequent semester, or to secure a transcript of their record at the University until such accounts are settled.
|Item type||Loan period||Renew?||Fines|
|Regular (books, government documents)||28 days||twice||$.35/day|
|Reserve items (2/4 hr)||
2 hrs - In library
2 hrs - overnight
4 hrs - In library
|Reserve items||1/3/7 days||no||$5.00/day|
|InfoSquare CD-ROMS||28 days||twice||$.35/day|
|Periodicals, Reference, Special Collections, RCH, Reese Room||Library Use Only||n/a||n/a|
|*When the fine reaches $10.00 a replacement charge is added to the patron's account.|
Faculty, staff, and students must present their JagCard to borrow library items. You are responsible for all items checked out on your card. JagCard and borrowed items should be kept in a secure location and never loaned to others. A lost JagCard should be reported immediately to Public Safety.
All circulation notices will be sent to Georgia Regents University affiliates by JagMail only. Users should also check their GIL accounts regularly. Notices will be mailed to non-ASU affiliates. Changes of address should be reported to the library immediately.
Failure to receive notification does not relieve the borrower of the obligation to return items when they are due. The Library is not responsible for undelivered mail.
|Borrower||Present Upon Check Out||Application Procedure||Expiration Date of Card||Book Limit|
|GRU Full-time Faculty||GRU ID||Fill out application form.||End of Spring semester||No
|GRU Part-time (or Temporary) Faculty||GRU ID - (Yellow card validated each semester)||Fill out application form.||Last day of class for current semester||50|
|GRU Staff||Valid GRU ID||Fill out application form.||End of Spring semester||30|
|GRU Students||Valid GRU ID||Fill out application form.||End of semester||30|
|Joint Enrollment High School Students||Valid GRU ID||Fill out application form.||End of semester||30|
|Retired GRU Faculty and Staff||Valid GRU ID||Fill out application form.||End of Spring semester||10|
|GRU Alumni||Valid GRU Alumni card or special library card||First year after graduation free. Pay Alumni dues after first year.||Date on Alumni card or verification from list provided by Alumni Relations||5|
|President's Club||Special library card||Verify from updated President's Club list. Fill out application form.||One year||5|
|Corporate Members of the President's Club||Special library card||Verify from updated Corporate Members list. Fill out application form.||One year||5|
|GRU Dependents||GRU special library card||Faculty or staff member fill out application form for spouse or high school age children.||December 31||5|
|Community Users (21 years or over)||Valid GRU special library card and picture ID||Display picture ID. Fill out application form. $40/ year.||One year from date of application||5|
|Paine College Faculty, Staff and Students||Valid Paine ID||Fill out application form.||Circulation supplied||30|
|Faculty, Staff, and Students from the University System of Georgia||Valid picture ID||Verified through the Voyager System||Voyager System will supply and verify expiration date||100|
|Students under college age||N/A||May not borrow (unless Joint Enrolled or GRU dependent)||N/A||N/A|
|Faculty from Augusta Area Technical School||Valid Augusta Tech ID||Display a valid faculty ID from Augusta Area Technical School. Fill out application form.||June 1st of current school year||5|
|GRU Continuing Education Faculty and Adult Students||Valid GRU special library card||Display letter from Continuing Education teacher or administrator requesting that individuals be granted library privileges for class purposes. Fill out application form.||End of the semester of application||5|
|State Institutions and Board of Education Administrators||Valid GRU special library card||Display letter from employer asking that employee be granted library privileges for business purposes. Employee fill out application form.||1 year from application||5|
Residents of the Augusta-Richmond County area who are 21 years or older may obtain a Community User card at the Circulation Desk. There is a $40.00 annual fee. The card entitles the user to check out up to a total of five (5) items from the library, except for those restricted to library use. Users must agree to conform to the rules and regulations of the library.
Community User library privileges do not include interlibrary loan, access to campus computer labs or the GALILEO password. Community users may access information resources on the Internet in the Reference Room. Computer use is limited to one hour.
Reese Library Research Computers are provided for educational research by Georgia Regents University students, faculty and staff. When not being used by our primary clientele for educational research, they may be otherwise utilized. See the Reese Library Computer Use Policy for additional guidelines
High school students under the age of 16 may use the library for research unaccompanied if they have a Reese Library pass signed in the original by their teacher. A separate, individually signed pass will be required for each day that the student enters the library without a parent or guardian. Principals at all the local high schools are provided with the pass each school year. When a student comes to the library he/she should present the teacher-signed pass to the reference librarian. High school students 16 years of age and older will be considered as adult members of the community for this policy.
All patrons must exit via the security gates at the main door. If the alarm sounds, library staff are authorized to determine the cause. All books, backpacks, brief cases, bags, and etc., will be checked.
The library has 7 group study rooms which are for the use of GRU students, faculty, or staff. Signup sheets are available at the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor. A valid JagCard must be presented when reserving a room. Rooms 213 and 310 are equipped with a computer, and a 42" flat screen monitor so that students can rehearse their presentations. Rooms may be reserved for no more than 2 hours per person. If the group reserving a room is more than 20 minutes late, the reservation is no longer valid; the room may then be used on a first come, first served basis.
Purpose: The library provides a Family Room on the third floor for use by GRU students, faculty, or staff who bring children to the Library, who are nursing mothers, or who need to pump breast milk. There is an adjacent play area to allow adult Family Room users to study undisturbed.
To ensure everyone's safety and prevent distractions, please follow these policies:
- Must be an GRU student, faculty or staff (with a valid JagCard). Priority given to students.
- Must have a child with them, or be a nursing mother.
- Must sign in and out at the Circulation desk for each room use.
Regarding your child(ren)
- If children attempt to leave through the rear locked door into the library, an alarm will sound. Immediately retrieve your children.
- No child under the age of 14 is to be left unattended in the Family Room or the Library (with the exception of high school age students who have a Reese Library pass from their school and who have checked in at the Reference desk). Unattended children often become bored, disruptive or wander. This can cause distractions to other library patrons.
- Children should remain in the back play area of the Family Room. This allows other Family Room users to work undisturbed.
- Older children can sit in the adult area to read or work on homework if they are quiet and do not disturb others.
- Voices and actions should reflect the environment. Please remind your children that the library is a quiet place and they should use soft voices.
- Diapers should be changed using the changing stations in the third floor restrooms.
- Both rooms in the Family Room suite should be left clean and orderly.
Food and Drink
- Please refer to the library's policy on food and drink.
- Only drinks with secure lids and vending machine-type foods are allowed.
- Only GRU students, faculty or staff with valid JagCards can use the computers in the Family Room.
- Children are not allowed on the computers in the adult study area for any reason. There are two computers for children's use in the back play area. Entertaining educational software for children ages 4 to 9 and headphones are available for check out at the Circulation desk.
- Use of the computers is on a first come, first served basis.
- If all computers in the adult study area of the Family Room are in use, depending on availability, you can check out a laptop from the Circulation desk.
- Computers are to be used for schoolwork and JagMail use ONLY.
- If you need help with research, a telephone with a direct line to Reference is provided.
- Choosing not to follow an established Family Room policy or guideline could result in loss of Family Room privileges. You will be asked to immediately leave the library. The length of the ban from Family Room privileges will depend on the infraction.
- Library staff will immediately notify Public Safety of any children left unattended.
- If any child abuses another child (verbally or physically), the child and the GRU user accompanying him or her will be permanently banned from the Family Room.
- If you are caught in the Family Room and you have not signed in, you will be banned for the week.
- If you use the Family Room when you are banned from it, Public Safety will be called. The GRU user will then be banned permanently from bringing children to the library.
1. Reese Library lockers may be registered to GRU Students through the Circulation Desk. Only current GRU Students may register for and use the lockers, and only one locker will be assigned to each eligible student.
2. Lockers are issued on a semester-to-semester basis. Each locker must be re-registered each semester. Personal items found in non-renewed lockers will be removed at the end of the semester. The library will keep these items for two weeks only, then forward them to Public Safety as lost and found items.
3. Each student is responsible for all materials in their locker. Materials that are prohibited from lockers: a. Library materials that have not been checked out to the registered holder of the locker. b. Food, drinks c. Hazardous materials (defined by GRU policy)
4. Contents of Lockers will be periodically checked by library staff. Library materials not checked out will be returned to the shelves. Edible items will be disposed of. Hazardous items will be immediately transferred to GRU Public Safety. A notification of any action(s) taken will be mailed or emailed to the registered holder of the locker and locker privileges may be terminated. The library reserves the right to revoke lockers privileges.
5. The library is not responsible for theft of or damage to items in lockers.
The Circulation Desk is the place for "Lost and Found" items in Reese Library. Items are kept here for approximately one week, then picked up by Public Safety.
NOTE: All laptops are loaded with software to prevent changes. BE SURE YOU SAVE YOUR WORK to media outside the laptop before turning it off!
Who may check out laptops?
Laptop computers are available for GRU students with a valid JagCard.
Where it should be checked out and returned?
At the Circulation desk. Be sure when returning the laptop that you hand it to a circulation staff person. Allow time for the laptop to be checked upon return. You will remain responsible for the laptop until it is checked in.
Where it may be used?
Anywhere on the GRU campus. (Wireless Internet access works in almost all buildings.) Laptops may be used at home, but wireless access depends entirely on the user performing all required configuration and setup. Contact ITS (Information Technology Services) helpdesk for assistance at (706)737-1676.
Who is responsible?
The student is responsible for returning all parts of the laptop in good working order. Student will be held responsible for repair and/or replacement of any laptop not working on return.
How much is the replacement cost?
Replacement cost will be determined at the time of loss or damage, up to the cost to replace the entire laptop, plus a processing charge of $15.00.
Can I print from the laptop?
Not at this time. To print, save your work to a diskette, CD-ROM, USB flash drive or zip disk and print from any GRU computer lab.
Caution. Do NOT leave the laptop unattended on campus or loan it to others.