Kaolin (kaolinite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaolinite) is a clay mineral found in great abundance in Georgia. Kaolin comprises one of Georgia’s largest natural resources and is a major industry in north Georgia. (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1178).
KaMinLLC (http://www.kaminllc.com/) operates three kaolin plants in Georgia with locations in Macon, Sandersville and Wrens.
The company is offering four tours (2 per day) on May 13 and 14 for teams attending the 2009 Science Olympiad National Tournament. Registration is on a “first come, first serve” basis. You will be notified by Thursday, May 7, if you have been registered for a tour and which tour. If you have questions send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ASU ITS Help Desk at 706-737-1482 (Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm EDT).
May 13 tours will be at the Wrens (plant)
- 2069 Howard Mill Road, Wrens, GA 30833
- Tour times: 10:30 am and 1:30 pm.
May 14 tours will be at the Macon (headquarters) plant
- 822 Huber Road, Macon, GA 31217
- Tour times: 10:30 am and 1:30 pm
GUIDELINES REQUIRED FOR KaMin TOURS
- Tours are FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED!
- Tours limited to four (4) teams with a maximum number of 25 people per team.
- KaMin will not be responsible for accommodations or transportation. Teams MUST provide their own transportation to the mine in vans or buses, not individual cars.
- Tour will consist of a 30 minute presentation and a 45-60 minute mine tour. The entire presentation and tour takes no more than 90 minutes.
- Rain/inclement weather will cancel all tours including the presentations. (Weather must to be good for at least 3 days prior to mine tour). It is the team's responsibility to contact the mine prior to the tour to confirm that the tour will be offered!!
Sheila McCormick – Phone: 478-750-5410 ext 5261
Carl Joyce- Phone: 478-750-5410 ext 5377
- Proper attire is required. Closed toed shoes, preferably tennis shoes or hiking boots MUST be worn during the tour. No one will be allowed on the tour if wearing open-toed shoes. Sunscreen is appropriate and advised
- Be sure to bring your student medical release forms with you.
- All registrations associated with participating in the tour are to be handled through the Science Olympiad National Tournament 2009 web site.
CLICK HERE TO SIGNUP FOR A TOUR