In the Beginning (1783)
Augusta State University really has two histories. Its academic roots can be traced to 1783 when the Academy of Richmond County was chartered. Opening in 1785, it offered college-level classes for boys to enter universities as sophomores or juniors.
During the Civil War, studies were suspended and the building became a hospital for wounded soldiers. Richmond Academy re-emerged after the war with former Confederate Colonel George Washington Rains as regent.
A board of trustees oversaw operation of the academy until 1909 when control passed to the local Board of Education. However, the university system continued to supervise the college-level classes. In 1910, a formal fifth year of study was added.
With the Academy flourishing, it soon outgrew its accommodations on Telfair Street. Land for a new building was purchased on Baker Avenue (present site of ARC) and a decision was made to add a second year of college work. In 1925, before the building was completed, the Junior College of Augusta was established, becoming the first junior college in the state.
grew. A solution to overcrowding presented itself in 1955 when the Augusta Arsenal
was slated to be closed. At this point, the history of the university merges
with that of the Augusta Arsenal.
Augusta State University
2500 Walton Way Augusta, GA 30904 706-737-1444
Produced by the Office of Public Relations and Publications