Augusta College is Born (1958)
In 1958, the college became a member of the University System
of Georgia and its name was changed to Augusta College. Still a two-year college,
it wasn't until 1963 that four-year status was gained. The final five-acre tract
(housing Galloway Hall) was acquired during the 1970s.
The building that anchors the physical education/athletic
complex on Wrightsboro Road was renamed Christenberry Fieldhouse in 2003 to honor
former Augusta Collge president George A. Christenberry. It contains three classrooms,
a human physiology lab, a weight room, a multipurpose room, a four-lane indoor
walking track, a training room, locker facilities, and basketball courts. The
athletic complex also includes playing fields and practice fields for baseball,
softball, and intramurals.
Augusta State University
2500 Walton Way Augusta, GA 30904 706-737-1444
Produced by the Office of Public Relations and Publications