WHAT IS SILENT WITNESS?
- A program to obtain information regarding criminal activity.
- A program which insures the information gathered goes to the proper law enforcement agency, and nowhere else.
- A program which allows for ANONYMOUS REPORTING.
WHY DO WE NEED SILENT WITNESS?
- To encourage each member of the university community to become involved in fighting crime on and around our campus.
- To provide a system insuring timely reporting of criminal activity.
- To protect those who get involved and make reports by maintaining their anonymity through use of a "blind" e-mail account into which reports are fed.
HOW DOES SILENT WITNESS WORK?
- Through any computer with internet access, a person can go to the Augusta State University web site, click on Public Safety and then click on SILENT WITNESS.
- After reading the explanatory page on SILENT WITNESS, click on "MAKE A REPORT".
- The reporting form is an fill-in-the-blank exercise, in which the person reporting can record all known data about the criminal activity.
- By clicking on SUBMIT REPORT, the information goes automatically to a "blind" e-mail site which will not reveal the identity of the sending person.