Welcome to the Georgia Regents University Student Georgia Association of Educators (SGAE) Chapter, an affiliate of both the Georgia Association of Educators and the National Education Association.
Our campus SGAE advisor is Dr. Paulette Harris who may be reached in the GRU College of Education at (706) 729-2045 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
To join SGAE please go to the pv.gae2.org website and list Georgia Regents University as your college/university.
Benefits of joining GRU SGAE/NEA include:
- Representation for members at local, state, and national levels.
- $1 million in liability insurance coverage-at no extra cost
- Monthly subscription to the GAE and NEA publications
- Events and workshops that are relevant to future educators
- Access Discount Card-provides savings at restaurants, hotels, and retailers
The goal of SGAE/NEA is to provide Georgia Regents University students with leadership building experiences through service.
Opportunities abound for SGAE/NEA members to build collaborative relationships on the GRU campus and throughout the state and nation with other college/university students who are interested in education as a career.
Leadership experiences in SGAE/NEA include:
- Attendance and active participation in an annual spring retreat serving as the master planning session for all of our SGAE activities for the coming year.
- Literacy service learning opportunities through the GRU Literacy Center where SGAE/NEA provides books for a community of new readers.
- A diversity exchange project with a Historically Black College in our area in February.
- A Children's book drive-with donation box at the GRU Literacy Center.
- Active participation in NEA's Read Across America in March.
- Attendance and active participation in the GAE Student state-wide program conference in April.
- Support and guidance from the Richmond County Association of Educators (RCAE), the county level affiliate of the Georgia Association of Educators (GAE) and the National Education Association (NEA). This mutually beneficial relationship allows the GRU-SGAE chapter access to seasoned professionals who are dedicated to assisting college/university students in reaching their academic and professional goals. The RCAE members serve as mentors to SGAE/NEA members and provide many innovative workshops hosted by SGAE/NEA on topics such as legislative updates that impact education.
- Professional development opportunities are available through your membership in SGAE/NEA to include GACE workshops free of charge to SGAE members.