Bellevue Hall (1815)
The classic Sand Hills cottage was the summer home of Freeman Walker, a U.S. senator and the first mayor of Augusta. His estate, called Belle-Vue (beautiful vista), was sold to the federal government in 1826 for an Army arsenal. It is the only remaining structure that predates the arsenal.
Payne Hall (1827-28)
The three-story brick building of modified Georgian architecture served originally as a military storehouse and later as the headquarters building. In its earliest days, Army prisoners were housed in a room located beneath the basement. It is named in honor of Capt. Matthew M. Payne who was responsible for relocating the arsenal from its Savannah River site to this hill location. Today it houses academic affairs, academic and architectural planning, and the offices of financial aid, veterans affairs, and the registrar.
Benet House (1827-28)
Designated as a National Historic Landmark, the beautiful white-columned building served as living quarters for arsenal commandants. It is named in honor of Col. J. Walker Benet, commandant from 1911-1919 and father of Pulitzer Prize poets Stephen Vincent and William Rose Benet. Today the building houses the admissions office.
Fanning Hall (1827-28)
The building, which today houses university business offices, has had several functions over the years. Originally, it housed bachelor officers and enlisted men, but at other times it held a mess hall and hospital clinic. It honors Major A.C.W. Fanning, commandant from 1827 through 1832.
Rains Hall (1829)
Originally, the white-columned, two-story building housed the second-in-command of the arsenal. It is named in honor of Col. George Washington Rains, Confederate commandant, and later, regent of the Academy of Richmond County, the parent institution of Augusta State. Today, the building houses the university president and public relations and publications.
Boykin Wright Hall (1900)
The stately two-story home of former Georgia Supreme Court Justice Boykin Wright was a gift to the university from Marguerite Wright Hillman in memory of her father. A smaller building that served as the caretakers residence is used as a costume shop for the theatre.
Maxwell Alumni House (1917)
The former home of furniture magnate Jefferson Maxwell was donated to the university by his estate. Designed by famed architect T.E. Wendell, the house features three of the famed mantels that are the distinguishing hallmark of the architect. It houses development and alumni relations..
Washington Hall (1942)
The building has been called the College Activities Center and University Center, and in 1997, it was named Washington Hall to honor two prominent local educators, the late Dr. Justine and the late Dr. I.E. Washington. An attached veranda provides an outside area for students. The towers were part of a 1941 optical shop.
Galloway Hall (1957)
When the arsenal was closed, five acres were kept for use by the U.S. Army Reserve. It was acquired in 1978 and its building was named for Norman Galloway, the first dean of students. The building was renovated in 2010.
Bell Tower (1958)
This small tower, located between Bellevue and Benet, houses the bell that was on the last steam locomotive used by the Georgia Railroad. During the junior college days, students were summoned to class by the ringing of the bell. Today it is rung only on special occasions.
Fine Arts Center (1968)
This building, constructed at the same time as the Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre, was the first to be built on campus specifically for academic use. It houses classrooms and offices for the music and art programs.
Grover C. Maxwell
Performing Arts Theatre (1968)
This 736-seat theatre serves as the cultural hub of the community and campus. The building is named in honor of Grover C. Maxwell, a founder of Maxwell Brothers Furniture.
Reese Library (1977)
The three-story Reese Library, designed to hold 400,000 volumes, has a seating capacity of 1,000 and until recent times was the largest building on campus. It is connected to the Jaguar Student Activities Center. It honors Dr. and Mrs. John T. Reese, parents of alumna Katherine Reese Pamplin.
Christenberry Fieldhouse (1991)
The building that anchors the physical education/athletic complex
on Wrightsboro Road was renamed Christenberry Fieldhouse in 2003 to honor former
Augusta College president George A. Christenberry. It contains three classrooms,
a human physiology lab, a weight room, a multipurpose room, a four-lane indoor walking track, a training room, locker facilities, basketball courts, and 2700-seat arena. The
athletic complex also includes playing fields and practice fields for baseball,
softball, and intramurals.
Science Hall (2000)
Completed in 2000, the 120,000 square foot building cost $19.4 million to build.
Allgood Hall (2002)
The 123,000 square foot building cost about $20 million to construct and is named in honor of alumnus Thomas F. Allgood, Sr., a former state senator and regent of the University System of Georgia, and his wife , 'T'.
University Hall (2004)
This $22 million, 113,000 square-foot building holds 31 classrooms, two computer labs, student areas, the College of Education, the Department of Nursing, the Writing Center, Media Services, and Information Technology Services.
One acre was reserved as a cemetery for the Walker family when the U.S. government purchased the property in 1826. An acre was set aside later to be used as a military cemetery, and it holds the graves of 74 persons. Notice the difference in headstones between the two cemeteries.
History Walk (2002-04)
The $2 million project includes a decorative walkway with rest areas and displays that chronicle the history of the university, Augusta Arsenal, and our historic neighborhoods. It was funded through Transportation Enhancement Activity grants from the Georgia Department of Transportation with assistance by the university and the city of Augusta.
Jaguars Student Activities Center
Opened in the Fall of 2006, the Jaguar Student Activities Center (JSAC) is funded totally with the Student Activities fee. Housed in the JSAC is a Fitness Center, Gameroom, 2 TV Lounges, a Ballroom, 2 Conference Rooms, a Classroom, 2 Multi Purpose Rooms, Food Court, Cyber Cafe, First Year Experience, Jag Card and Residence Life.
Guard House Museum
The building was originally constructed as a guardhouse shortly after the Civil War in 1866 at what then was the main entrance to the arsenal from Walton Way. With private funding, renovations turned the vacant building into a museum that contains displays and photographs of the history of the Arsenal, university, and our historic neighborhoods. Artifacts, uncovered in numerous campus archaeological digs are on display. The museum was dedicated on April 24, 2003.
J. Fleming Norvell Golf House
J. Fleming Norvell Golf House adds a new dimension to the NCAA Division I golf program at Augusta State. The teaching center/golf house has indoor/outdoor hitting bays, state-of-the-art camera equipment, an indoor putting green, a team meeting and locker room, exercise room, computer lab, kitchenette, and coaches offices.
University Village (2005)
A public-private venture, UV is a gated apartment-style complex set on 24 acres , with a clubhouse, swimming pool, and housing for about 500 students.
D. Douglas Barnard, Jr., Amphitheatre (2008)
The amphitheatre was constructed with private funds donated by friends of former Rep. Barnard, �40.