ZETA PHI BETA SORORITY, INCORPORATED
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority was organized at Howard University in Washington, D.C. on January 16, 1920. Five women, Arizona Cleaver (Stemons), Myrtle Tyler (Faithful), Viola Tyler (Goings), Fannie Pettie (Watts) and Pearl A. Neal dared to depart from the traditional coalition of Black sororities and sought to charter the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority with the help of Brother Charles Robert Taylor and Brother A. Langston Taylor, who were members of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. These women are known to us now as our Five Pearls.
The sorority was the first Greek-letter organization to charter a chapter in Africa (1948); to form adult and youth auxiliary groups-the Amicae, Archonettes, Pearlettes, and Amicettes; and to be constitutionally bound to a brother group, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority is predicated on the precepts of Scholarship, Service, Sisterhood and Finer Womanhood. Zeta's national and local programs include endowment of its National Education Foundation; community outreach services; and support of multiple affiliate organizations. Zeta chapters and auxiliary groups have given un-totaled hours of voluntary service to educate the public, assist youth, provide scholarships, support organized charities and promote legislation for social and civic change. A non-profit organization, Zeta Phi Beta is incorporated in Washington, D.C. and the state of Illinois.