Sam L. Robinson, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Georgia Regents University
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, Virginia. September 1981 - July 1986. Ph.D., mathematics, specialty in mathematical physics.
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina. August 1976 - May 1981. B.S., with honors, in mathematics.
Refereed Research Journal Publications
- Professor of Mathematics and Interim Dean, College of Science and Mathematics, Georgia Regents University (Augusta State University prior to January 2013), Augusta, Georgia. July 2012 - present.
- Professor and Chair (2004-2012), Associate Professor and Acting Chair (2002-2004), Associate Professor (1999-2002), Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Augusta State University, Augusta, Georgia. August 1999 - present.
- Associate (1997-1999) and Assistant (1989-1997) Professor, Department of Mathematics, The William Paterson University of New Jersey, Wayne, New Jersey. September 1989 - June 1999.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences, The University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina. August 1986 - August 1989.
- Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant, Department of Mathematics, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia. September 1981 - July 1986.
- Asymptotically minimal uncertainty states for time-dependent oscillators (with P. Punosevac), Journal of Mathematical Physics, 54 (1), 2013, p. 012106 1-16.
- Approximate Rydberg states of the hydrogen atom that are concentrated near Kepler orbits (with G. A. Hagedorn), Helvetica Physica Acta, 72, 1999, p. 316-340.
- Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization rules in the semiclassical limit (with G. A. Hagedorn), Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, Vol. 31, No. 50, 1998, p. 10113-10129.
- Dynamical approach to inhomogeneous rays, Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 13, No. 10, 1996, p. 2021 - 2026.
- Semiclassical mechanics for time-dependent Wigner functions, Journal of Mathematical Physics, 34, (6), 1993, p. 2185-2205.
- High frequency asymptotic solution of the wave equation in an inhomogeneous medium, Journal of Mathematical Physics, 32 (3), 1991, p. 651-655.
- The semiclassical limit of quantum dynamics II: scattering theory, Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincaré, 48, 271, 1988, p. 281-296.
- The semiclassical limit of quantum dynamics I: time evolution, Journal of Mathematical Physics, 29 (2), 1988, p. 412-419.
Presentations at Conferences
- Wavelets (with Peter F. Ryczek), The Mathematica Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 1, 1995, p. 74-81.
- Higher order quasimodes in the semiclassical limit, contributed talk at The South Eastern Regional Conference on Differential Equations, Wake Forest University, November 2001.
- High frequency asymptotic solutions for the wave equation in an inhomogeneous medium, invited talk at Mid-Winter Mathematical Physics Days, Virginia Tech, February 1988.
- The semiclassical limit of quantum scattering theory, contributed talk at The University of Alabama at Birmingham International Conference on Differential Equations and Mathematical Physics, March 1986.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Savannah River Scholar Program (Co-PI, J. Andrew Hauger PI), National Science Foundation Division of Undergraduate Education S-STEM Program, award number 0966195, amount awarded $419,520, July 2010 - June 2015.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- International Association for Mathematical Physics
- American Mathematical Society
- American Physical Society